Friday, September 19, 2008

Tips to buy a coconut with some common sense!

I was at an Indian store few minutes back.  An Indian couple there was buying a $1.00 coconut.  To ensure that the coconut is fresh and they do not waste their $1.00, they asked the shopkeeper to break the coconut, then saved the coconut water in two polythene bags, and broken coconut in another polythene bag. Three bags for a coconut which doesn't need one. In an effort to be very smart and save $1.00, they are now going to drink the coconut water that will be in a polythene bags for quite some time, waste some more bags and plastic, and remove the freshness of coconut.  Fresh food in plastic, especially the low grade plastic should be avoided.

Next time, if you want to buy coconut (the one you can use for making chutney), shake it, if you can hear water shaking, its fresh and good. 100%.  People break to check only dry coconuts, not the one with water.  I know environment is last thing on most minds, but a simple common sense and google can be used some times.

~Raag

2 comments:

  1. hi raag,

    Came here from Mr. Kunte's topic.
    This is serious + hilarious at the same time. Another tip - If 3 dots are sturdy when pressed then it's good else it might be getting rotten. Rotten ones have water too :-)

    Plz check my blog. Sign a petition + read my campaigns. Feel free to let your friends know about my racism issue.

    rgds,
    VoP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Rhea S. I have visited your website and I would like to congratulate you on building such a valuable online resource. I am sure your visitors find your site as useful as I did.

    Have a great day.

    Thanks and regards,

    Rhea S.

    ReplyDelete